How the search function works
The EU Open Data Portal is a catalogue of metadata that describes a collection of datasets stored on data providers’ websites.
Each dataset is made up of metadata and resources.
Resources are the data collections in the dataset.
A resource may link to:
- a file (for example a CSV spreadsheet or RDF files)
- an application programming interface (API), such as a SPARQL endpoint
- another online data resource.
You will find different resource types on the portal, such as:
- web pages
- data files
- file transfer protocol access
In the EU Open Data Portal you will also find a list of applications that reuse EU open data, with its own search function.
A catalogue of EU data visualisations will also soon be available.
Browsing datasets and resources
You have four options:
- use the search field on any data page — read more about how to search;
- use the web service (REST API) that lets you build applications using data from the portal — find out more about REST API;
- use the SPARQL endpoint that provides direct access to the triplestore containing the metadata for the datasets in RDF — find out more about SPARQL;
- browse datasets by publisher, EuroVoc domain, or group.