Discover the European Data Portal's research on rural open data and recommendations to facilitate its potential
Discover the European Data Portal's (EDP) analytical report Enabling Smart Rural: The Open Data Gap. The report was published on November 2019 and focuses on leveraging insights from existing research and use cases to understand and define rural open data and its quality, quantity, use, and barriers. Two types of rural open data were discussed in the report:
- Rural populations - data about people living in rural areas.
- Rural economy - data about traditionally rural industries.
The report examines the collection, availability, and use of open data in rural areas through the lens of a smart city and suggests that a smart city approach should not be transposed onto the rural environment. Instead, there is value in a smart region approach that recognises the relationship between cities and their surrounding countryside. Enabling Smart Rural concludes with several recommendations for rural open data:
- Institutionalising open data skills and knowledge;
- Increasing awareness of high value datasets;
- Engaging with complementary data owners;
- Developing skill links with urban areas; and
- Creating hackathons or challenges that specifically target rural issues.