What do Open Data users look for?
The European Data Portal and the United States Government's Open Data portal are two major gateways to public sector information. Combined, the European Data Portal and its American version Data.gov harvest more than an impressive million datasets. Which datasets were most popular in the beginning of 2018?
Starting with the top three datasets from Data.gov, users seem to be keen on reference datasets, datasets capturing generic information most valuable when linked to other types of data:
- Demographic Statistics By Zip Code (City of New York)
- ZIP Code Data (Federal Department of the Treasury)
- U.S. Chronic Disease Indicators (Federal U.S. Department of Health & Human Services)
What are the favourite datasets in the case of the European Data Portal? The top three look rather different, more orientated on specific domains:
- Air Quality Management Areas (Reigate and Banstead Borough Council, United Kingdom)
- List of war casualties (Ministry of Defence, Romania)
- Corporate credit card transactions 2015-16