The Survey of Schools: ICT in Education, published in March 2019, builds upon the European Commission’s first Survey of Schools: ICT in Education.The survey was conducted in a partnership between Deloitte and IPSOS, on behalf of the European Commission.
The 2nd Survey of Schools: ICT in Education has two objectives:
Objective 1: Benchmark progress in ICT in schools - to provide detailed and up-to-date information related to access, use and attitudes towards the use of technology in education by surveying head teachers, teachers, students and parents covering the EU28, Norway, Iceland and Turkey;
Objective 2: Model for a ‘highly equipped and connected classroom’ - to define a conceptual model for a ‘highly equipped and connected classroom’ (HECC), presenting three scenarios to describe different levels of a HECC and to estimate the overall costs to equip and connect an average EU classroom with advanced components of the HECC model.
- The entry level scenario outlines the minimum and essential components of a HECC.
- The advanced scenario further advances the entry level scenario, e.g. by entailing more advanced digital equipment, as well as a greater number of teachers’ professional development activities and access to paid-for contents.
- The cutting-edge level is a further advanced scenario in relation to network requirements, it also includes a greater variety of digital equipment and increased opportunities for face-to-face professional development for teachers, and leadership training.
The survey was carried out in 31 countries (EU28, Norway, Iceland and Turkey), by conducting interviews with head teachers, teachers, students and parents (ISCED level 1: primary schools: ISCED level 2: lower secondary schools; ISCED level 3: upper secondary schools). A range of different topics was covered, including:
- Access to and use of digital technologies
- Digital activities and digital confidence of teachers and students
- ICT related teacher professional development
- Digital home environment of students
- Schools’ digital policies, strategies and opinions
Specific country profiles are available online.
- CSV and SAS file for head teachers CSV
- CSV and SAS file for parents CSV
- CSV and SAS file for students CSV
- CSV and SAS file for teachers CSV
- Final report Objective 1 - Benchmark progress in ICT in schools PDF
- Final report Objective 2 - Benchmark progress in ICT in schools PDF
- SPSS file for head teachers CSV
- SPSS file for parents CSV
- SPSS file for students CSV
- SPSS file for teachers CSV
- Executive summary Objective 1: Benchmark progress in ICT in schools PDF
- Executive summary Objective 2: Benchmark progress in ICT in schools PDF
- FR_Executive summary Objective 1: Benchmark progress in ICT in schools PDF
- FR_Executive summary Objective 2: Benchmark progress in ICT in schools PDF
- Survey questionnaires in all translated languages Excel XLSX
- Technical Report PDF
- Release Date
- Accrual Periodicity
- Temporal Coverage From
- Temporal Coverage To
- Geographical Coverage
- Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Latvia, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Slovenia, Sweden, Belgium, Austria, Cyprus, Bulgaria, Germany, Czechia, Spain, Denmark, Finland, Estonia, United Kingdom, France, Croatia, Greece, Ireland, Hungary, Italy, Iceland, Luxembourg, Lithuania, Turkey
- European Union Open Data Portal
- related resource