An Entity in Charge of Maintenance (ECM) plays an important safety role in the European railway system by ensuring that the vehicles for which it is in charge are in a safe state of running by means of a system of maintenance.
To facilitate the relations with railway undertakings, a European system of certification for ECMs has been set up in Regulation (EU) 445/2011 .
This regulation sets out:
* The requirements and assessment criteria applicable for the certification of ECMs for freight wagons and the certification of maintenance workshops; and
* The criteria to be applied for the accreditation or recognition of ECM’s and maintenance workshops’ certification bodies.
The system of certification provides evidence of responsibility and traceability of the maintenance undertaken on freight wagons. It sets out also a certification process that ensures a transparent and structured management system for all workshops and will help to reduce the burden and duplication of controls and/or audits across the rail sector.
ERA publishes the list of ECM certificates in the ERADIS database.
- Access the ECM MoU Certificate Database HTML
- Access the ECM database HTML
- Access the Maintenance Functions Certificate Database HTML
- ECM Certificates Statistics: Number of ECMs (including maintenance workshops) vs. number of ECMs (excluding maintenance workshops) per Member State HTML
- ECM Certificates Statistics: Number of valid ECM Certificates per Member State granted by accredited certification bodies of the same or other Member State than the ECM HTML
- ECM Certificates Statistics: Number of valid ECM Certificates per type, per Member State HTML
- Application guide on ECM certification scheme PDF
- Application guide on maintenance workshop certification scheme PDF
- Application guide on sectoral accreditation scheme PDF
- Guide for the application of the Regulation (EU) No 445/2011 on a system of certification of entities in charge of maintenance for freight wagons PDF
- Schemas chosen to award ECM Certificates in each member state HTML
- Alternative Title
- ECM Certificates Database
- Geographical Coverage
- Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Belgium, Austria, Cyprus, Bulgaria, Germany, Czechia, Spain, Denmark, Finland, Estonia, United Kingdom, France, Croatia, Greece, Ireland, Hungary, Lithuania, Italy, Latvia, Luxembourg
- European Union Open Data Portal
European Union Agency for Railways