Protection of your personal data
This privacy statement provides information about the processing and the protection of your personal data.
Processing operation: European Union Open Data Portal (EU ODP)
Data Controller: Publications Office of the European Union, unit C.4, "EU Open Data and CORDIS"
Record reference: DPR-EC-00458
The European Commission (hereafter ‘the Commission’) is committed to protect your personal data and to respect your privacy. The Commission collects and further processes personal data pursuant to Regulation (EU) 2018/1725 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 October 2018 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data by the Union institutions, bodies, offices and agencies and on the free movement of such data (repealing Regulation (EC) No 45/2001).
This privacy statement explains the reason for the processing of your personal data, the way we collect, handle and ensure protection of all personal data provided, how that information is used and what rights you have in relation to your personal data. It also specifies the contact details of the responsible Data Controller with whom you may exercise your rights, the Data Protection Officer and the European Data Protection Supervisor.
The information in relation to processing operation "European Union Open Data Portal (EU ODP)" undertaken by unit C.4, "EU Open Data and CORDIS" of the Publications Office of the European Union, is presented below.
- Why and how do we process your personal data?
Purpose of the processing operation: Unit C.4, "EU Open Data and CORDIS" of the Publications Office collects and uses your personal information to allow users to personalise their access to the system.
Furthermore, this allows the Publications Office to
- identify authorised data providers and their operations and guarantee that only they can insert and modify their data;
- send information about the development and use of the website (to data providers);
- send information and new datasets suggested by users;
- analyse any errors in order to improve the service;
- carry out anonymous surveys concerning the use of the portal;
- organise and follow up on training sessions on using the portal;
- reply to any user requests treated via the Helpdesk.
Your personal data will not be used for an automated decision-making including profiling.
- On what legal ground(s) do we process your personal data
We process your personal data, because:
- processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the Union institution or body;
- processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which the controller is subject.
Additional legal bases for the processing:
- Directive 2013/37/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council of 26 June 2013 amending Directive 2003/98/EC on the re-use of public sector information
- 2011/833/EU: Commission Decision of 12 December 2011 on the reuse of Commission documents
- Regulation (EC) No 1049/2001 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 30 May 2001 regarding public access to European Parliament, Council and Commission documents
- Decision 2009/496/EC, Euratom of the European Parliament, the Council, the Commission, the Court of Justice, the Court of Auditors, the European Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions of 26 June 2009 on the organisation and operation of the Publications Office of the European Union.
- Which personal data do we collect and further process?
In order to carry out this processing operation unit C.4, "EU Open Data and CORDIS" of the Publications Office collects the following categories of personal data:
- Users who are authorised data providers:
full name, user ID, email address, password, organisation (which provides the data)
- Participants in online training courses:
name, email address, and date, time and duration of their participation
emails may contain (apart from the email address) first name and surname, administrative address, telephone, fax and organisation
- Users who suggest new datasets:
mandatory: name and email address, object and description of proposed dataset
optional: country, language and type of organisation
The provision of personal data is mandatory for users who are authorised data providers to meet the requirements of operating the Open Data Portal, and required for other users to benefit from the relevant requested services.
- Users who are authorised data providers:
- How long do we keep your personal data?
Unit C.4, "EU Open Data and CORDIS" of the Publications Office only keeps your personal data for the time necessary to fulfil the purpose of collection or further processing. The personal data of users who are authorised data providers is retained for the duration of the authorisation. The personal data of participants in online training sessions and users who receive information about the portal or who suggest datasets is retained for 4 years.
- How do we protect and safeguard your personal data?
All personal data in electronic format (e-mails, documents, databases, uploaded batches of data, etc.) are stored on the servers of the European Commission. All processing operations are carried out pursuant to the Commission Decision (EU, Euratom) 2017/46 of 10 January 2017 on the security of communication and information systems in the European Commission.
In order to protect your personal data, the Commission has put in place a number of technical and organisational measures in place. Technical measures include appropriate actions to address online security, risk of data loss, alteration of data or unauthorised access, taking into consideration the risk presented by the processing and the nature of the personal data being processed. Organisational measures include restricting access to the personal data solely to authorised persons with a legitimate need to know for the purposes of this processing operation.
- Who has access to your personal data and to whom is it disclosed?
Access to your personal data is provided to the Commission staff responsible for carrying out this processing operation and to authorised staff according to the “need to know” principle. Such staff abide by statutory, and when required, additional confidentiality agreements.
Data inserted or modified by authorised data providers can be accessed by internal staff at the Publications Office and the data subjects at the data providers.
Information on the use of the portal and users' suggestions for new datasets can be accessed by internal staff at the Publications Office and the staff of the relevant data providers.
Information received from users in the context of Helpdesk and training can be accessed by internal staff at the Publications Office managing the relevant functional mailboxes and/or resolving issues.
- What are your rights and how can you exercise them?
You have specific rights as a ‘data subject’ under Chapter III (Articles 14-25) of Regulation (EU) 2018/1725, in particular the right to access, rectify or erase your personal data and the right to restrict the processing of your personal data. Where applicable, you also have the right to object to the processing or the right to data portability.
You have the right to object to the processing of your personal data, which is lawfully carried out pursuant to Article 5(1)(a).
You can exercise your rights by contacting the Data Controller, or in case of conflict the Data Protection Officer. If necessary, you can also address the European Data Protection Supervisor. Their contact information is given under Heading 9 below.
Where you wish to exercise your rights in the context of one or several specific processing operations, please provide their description (i.e. their Record reference(s) as specified under Heading 10 below) in your request.
- Contact information
- The Data Controller
If you would like to exercise your rights under Regulation (EU) 2018/1725, or if you have comments, questions or concerns, or if you would like to submit a complaint regarding the collection and use of your personal data, please feel free to contact the Data Controller, Unit C.4, "EU Open Data and CORDIS" of the Publications Office, email@example.com.
- The Data Protection Officer (DPO) of the Commission
You may contact the Data Protection Officer (DATA-PROTECTION-OFFICER@ec.europa.eu) with regard to issues related to the processing of your personal data under Regulation (EU) 2018/1725.
- The European Data Protection Supervisor (EDPS)
You have the right to have recourse (i.e. you can lodge a complaint) to the European Data Protection Supervisor (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you consider that your rights under Regulation (EU) 2018/1725 have been infringed as a result of the processing of your personal data by the Data Controller.
- The Data Controller
- Where to find more detailed information?
The Commission Data Protection Officer (DPO) publishes the register of all processing operations on personal data by the Commission, which have been documented and notified to him. You may access the register via the following link: http://ec.europa.eu/dpo-register.
This specific processing operation has been included in the DPO’s public register with the following Record reference: DPR-EC-00458
The information on this site is subject to a disclaimer, a copyright notice and rules related to personal data protection: