Looking back at Inspire Helsinki 2019
Inspire Helsinki 2019 took place last week from 22 to 24 October 2019 in Helsinki, Finland and focused on harvesting the 'Sea of European spatial data'. This year, Inspire Helsinki 2019 had four challenges:
- Find the best seaside vacation spot - A challenge that encourages participants to develop solutions to identify the best location for a seaside vacation by taking into consideration factors that travellers look at (e.g. the water visibility and the risk of oil spills from groundings).
- Commuting 2.0 - A challenge that aims to improve urban living by using data on weather conditions to guide commuters.
- Let's make the most out of INSPIRE! - A challenge that targets exploiting the INSPIRE infrastructure by limiting possible inefficiencies in how data is being encoded and/or exposed through network services by EU Member States' data providers.
- By the Beautiful Blue Danube - A challenge that focuses on how we can make waterways and railways more competitive with respect to traditional roads.
The winners of Inspire Helsinki 2019 are:
- 1st place: Team Minerva Intelligence with "A Landslide Application in Veneto, Italy" for the challenge Let's make most out of INSPIRE;
- 2nd place: Team West Coast Surfers with "Flood Warning Assistant" for the challenge Let's make most out of INSPIRE;
- 3rd place: Team Statistics Finland with "Finding the Best Seaside Vacation Spot" for the challenge Find the best seaside vacation spot; and
- FME Special Prize winner: Better Wet from Sweat for the challenge Commuting 2.0.
Full details of all the submitted works for the four challenges will soon be made available online. Congratulations to the winners and all the teams and see you at Inspire 2020 in Dubrovnik, Croatia!
For more open data events, visit the European Data Portal's calendar and follow the EDP on Twitter, Facebook or LinkedIn to stay up to date.