Looking back at SciDataCon 2022
The International Data Week is a landmark event by the Committee on Data and the World Data System of the International Science Council and the Research Data Alliance. The annual event aims to gather scientists, researchers, industry leaders, entrepreneurs, policymakers and data stewards from various disciplines across the globe to discuss:
- the role of data in scientific research and creation and how findings are communicated;
- opportunities in the data revolution for global research and cross-collaboration;
- innovations in data science and data stewardship; and
- the challenges of developing a sustainable data ecosystem, such as the role of education and skis and capacity building.
International Data Week 2022 took place on 20 to 23 June 2022 in Seoul, Republic of Korea. SciDataCon is one of the two events that comprise this year’s International Data Week, with the other being the Research Data Alliance’s Plenary Meeting. The overarching theme of the SciDataCon 2022 was ‘Data to Improve our World’. To facilitate conversations around this theme, several sessions took place discussing data interoperability, data science, data discovery, data stewardship and education, and the impact data has on citizen science and cities. Here are some of the sessions that took place during the event:
- WorldFAIR – Global cooperation on FAIR data policy and practice;
- Data Visualization facilitating understanding for decision makers and Large Audience;
- Big Earth Data in Support of the Sustainable Development Goals;
- Data publishing in the open science area; and
- The State of Open Data in 2022 – data sharing after the pandemic.
The full programme and summary of events is available on the SciDataCon website.